Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Technology and Me

Me and technology go a long way.
Ever since I was small it stuck by me. I came to know it when I was in first grade and I developed a closeness with it further on in my years. It's come to a point where I'm very dependent on it. It's really helped me out throughout my school years and is there in my time of need in college.I was living in Indonesia when I got my first computer. I was in the fourth grade, but I didn't need to rely on my computer at home. Computers were used mainly for learning how to type and minimal classroom work. So interaction with it was mainly focused in school. Then, when I moved to Malaysia and was in the seventh grade, that's when I made full use of a computer at home. That's where I made most of my close friends so I needed a computer to be able to interact with them through email. During that time of my education, we started writing a lot more papers, so typing was the easiest way to do it. As a result, I used my computer mainly for school purposes, with the occasional emailing and chatting.At first I wasn't comfortable with it, but with experience and getting to know it better, I became more relaxed with it, relying on it for almost everything. My Encyclopedias started collecting dust and the keyboard started looking shiny again. It brought meaning into my life. I was able to get around and manipulate some features I didn't like.Technology was important when I got into high school. Teachers kept stressing the need of technology and learning how to use those resources. In some classes, they went so far as to go to the computer lab and teach their class there so we could get familiar with programs. Teachers encouraged us to get to know technology better, even though we could tell they weren't that close to it. It was the idea of becoming technology reliant.Once in college I came to own my very own lab top. My connection became stronger. I realize that I can't live without technology. I need it for everything. It's my portal into the world. Just by a click I am able to find out weather conditions in Asia, or even how history was made.My teachers taught me well. They wanted us to rely on technology and that's what I've done. I've grown such a close relationship over these two years in college with technology. Everyday I'm learning something new about it. It's an exciting journey that will keep growing stronger.Me and technology go a long way. It's helped me through life and continues to do so.
This journey has only begun.

No comments: